Sunday Photo Post - New Tools

Well, the training wheels are coming off. This turned up in the week.

If I don't post for a few days, or misspell even more than usual it's because I've stabbed shit out of myself and bled on the keyboard.

Old faithful
I'm upgrading from my trusty Stanley knife, which I've used in a number of incarnations since I started the hobby. Good times, and quite a few scars in my thumb. But times are a changing, which means an opportunity for death by a thousand cuts. All the different blade options should hopefully help with conversions and sculpting.

Ah, yes, sculpting. I've also bought some clay shapers, and a selection of picks.



If any of the above will actually help me improve my sculpting skills remains to be seen, but it does at least provide a pleasingly wide range of options for making a mark.

Comments

  1. Good luck with that :)

    I've always preferred a "proper" scalpel, rather than the x-acto style hobby knife as i find the chuck works loose over time. I'd say be mindful of that and you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've the same set up top, has worked pretty well. The flat ones especially have been useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to being able to reach into previously difficult to get at places on models, and being able to approach conversions differently. I can imagine the flat ones will be good for a few things I have planned.

      Delete
  3. I meant to ask you at when you originaly posted this and never got round to it - but now I have need of new blades I've remembered to ask - where did you get that lovely looking set from, and how much did it set you back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the knife set on Amazon, under this listing, but for a fair bit less if I remember right.

      Only two issues to mention is that I've had to raise the magnet at one end as the blades fell out when closing the lid, and that as Karitas mentions above the chuck does occasionally loosen while working in certain positions, as handling puts pressure on in the same direction as the thread. Only happens once in a while, and when working at an unusual angel/direction for me. Otherwise I'm very impressed, and it's a big step up from the knife it replaced in terms of sharpness and the work it can do.

      Delete

Post a Comment