Warhammer World Trip


It's been a good weekend for hobby ephemera, what with the skull, and a trip to Warhammer World.

Sadly I'm short on photos, as I was enjoying myself too much to stick a camera phone between me and the models.

There's another reason why I wasn't taking photos, and that's because the models look so so good in the flesh. As high quality as the photography in White Dwarf and GW's other publications, and the online store is, it does not do the models justice. I stand in awe of the 'Eavy Metal team and the cabinet upon cabinet of uniformly high quality models that were on display. Anyone making notes may be interested to know that the Raven Wing and Salamanders where missing from their cabinets, as where the High Elves.

Seeing all the GW armies lined up on display was really inspiring, and it was very cool to see models and conversions I'd seen in White Dwarf over many many years in the flesh.

Apart from a real drive to pull my painting standard up, the other thing I came away from the Miniature Hall with was a feeling of how homogeneous 40K forces are. Certainly the Fantasy Armies looked more impressive. While 40K has better background (broader, deeper, more evocative overall) it's Fantasy that looks the business on display.

Having all the armies laid out as they were it was also very clear which armies had the oldest models. Certainly the Dark Elves looked ill served next to the newer Ogre and Vampire Counts releases.

After drooling over the cabinets, it was down to Bugman's for something to eat, but not before wondering the gaming hall, where there was a Throne Of Skulls event going on, and some very very nice armies on the tables. Some very well painted Necrons, and a full Sanguinary Guard army where especially impressive.

Bugman's did a good job of sustaining us with some good food, at modest prices (a shock at GW), and I'd recommend a pint of Bugman's. It's a tasty beer, when it's not being spilled across the table.

Lastly a trip to the store, that turned into an exercise in avoiding temptation, and the predation of sales staff. Compared to the rest of Warhammer World the store feels a bit disappointing, being smaller than my local store, and having less stock on the shelves. While they do a 2 hour ordering service, and have Forge World models in store it still feels a come down after the grandeur of the rest of the building.

All in all it was a great day out, and it's a worth while trip for any gamer interested in GW's systems to undertake. I just hope you have better luck getting there than I did (bloody roadworks).

Most interesting fact of the day: H.G.Wells (yes, that H.G.Wells) wrote a set of miniature wargaming rules called Little Wars.

Comments

  1. Yes the store at warhammer world is tiny. I expected them to have one of everything when I went there but was sorely disappointed. However bugmans is actually a nice place and the gaming hall is quite cool. Glad you had a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store does seem out of scale with the rest of the set up. I know in the days of old it was downstairs and much larger.

      The best thing in Bugman's was the weapons and shields on the wall, and seeing bits of the Fantasy world cross over into full scale rather than 28mm

      Delete
  2. I thought any wargamer worth his salt knew about 'Little Wars'? ;-)
    Never read a copy though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I just feel inadequate.

      Little Wars ought to be available on the Gutenberg Project, so I'll be checking it out some point soon.

      Delete
  3. Ok, touché, now I feel inadequate ;) - what's the Gutenburg Project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got an eReader? You're going to love me...

      Project Gutenberg digitises books that have fallen out of copyright through age. This means they've got 40,000 odd classics, from Sherlock Holmes, to The Art Of War all available to download for free. Enjoy.

      Little Wars is here , under its sadly dickish full title.

      Delete

Post a Comment