Hawk Wargames - Silence At The Dropzone


There was a lot of buzz around the release of  Hawk Wargames' Dropzone Commander. They teased everyone with previews, building anticipation for the launch, and generating such high levels of interest that they were overwhelmed by orders, and muffed things up a bit.

And then...

...well, nothing that I heard. I have a fairly wide spread of gaming news sites and blogs I follow, and there's nothing much that has stuck in my mind mentioned about the company or the game post launch. One or two reviews and the like, but not the same ferocious push of coverage I'd seen. I don't know how my input of hobby news stacks up to the general standard out their, but I don't think my blind spots are big enough to loose whole companies and systems.

Anyway, Hawk Wargames and Dropzone Cmmander have just popped back onto my radar, and sadly not in a good way. The Shell Case has run a piece on the current pricing of the game, and especially the resin building kits. Here's a choice quote and a link...
  "...but £740 for enough scenery for a 4×4 board? I mean are they fucking high? As they seem to thing they have the muscle of Games Workshop let’s use them as a comparison. Specifically Forge World. Specifically the Forge World Zone Mortalis board set. It costs £350 for a 4×4 board that’s modular. And that is an absolute shit load of resin. So for less than half the money for 15 buildings for DzC you can get a fully pimped 4×4 board. From Games Workshop. The most expensive wargaming company ever."

Read the rest of the piece here

I'm going to keep tabs on what happens with Hawk Wargames, but I'm quite glad I'm only watching from the sidelines rather than as a player of the game.I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this, both if I'm the only one in the media blackout, and what people reckon to the game and the prices.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to cover the game, but the chap behind the company stopped responding to emails and never came through with running me an intro game. I understand that he was insanely busy, but I wasn't going to do it all off of my own back given the cost. I had a lot of people asking me to cover the game, and then the requests just totally trailed off. Now nobody asks me to cover it and I'm guessing price is a big reason for the tailing off of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything seemed to be going so well up to the launch and then the wheels fell off. They appeared to almost be victims of their own marketing success.

    I was interested until I saw the cost. Combined with the fact it was a new company with a new game, taking the plunge seemed ill advised. I must remember to ask about it next time I'm in the local independent store, and see if they've seen much of it on their tables.

    It's certainly a shame you weren't able to get a demo, as that would have no doubt been a good article, and provided the independent viewpoint people needed to decide about dropping that much on a game. For all the publicity around the launch, there seemed to be little or no mention of what people thought of the system, or much of a guide on getting started.

    It seems they're in a vicious cycle as things stand. Price drives of interest. Lack of sales drives up price to recoup some investment, drives people further away. And then without the money to invest in new models they've not got the publicity bread crumbs to get people's interest back.

    I wonder how much Kickstarter has to do with both stealing people's attention, and for those companies that use it, being able to generate the income stream in such a way as to avoid the necessity of high pricing when things hit the market (although the high goals being set ought to be showing the public how expensive set up costs are). I suspect it's to late for Hawk Wargames to get in on that particular rodeo though, as they're not starting from the best position. It is going be interesting to see how well Kickstarter systems/companies maintain their player base going forward, but that's a different conversation for a year or so's time when it'll be fact not speculation.

    ReplyDelete