January Success and Failure

At the start of the month I posted a list of things that I wanted to achieve during January. Well the time has come to see how I got on. I've repeated the list greyed out below.

I tried hard not to go on about what I think I'll do next month, as I want a clean slate tomorrow.

Malifaux

I want to get one crew based and painted this month. As things stand I think this will be Sonnia Criid's box set, with it's grand total of five models. I'll be using the herringbone bases I tested out here, so they'll be refinements to those to do as well, and the issue of how to attach models to bases although I have a cunning plan.


Well, this didn't happen. There are two reasons for this. To deal with the painting first - I fell foul of my own perfect streak. Unhappy with how the painting of the Witchlings went, I decided to strip them and start again. This had a knock on effect on the bases, as with the models soaking in Dettol (when I eventually got some) there was nothing to work with while basing. All this makes the first task a failure on every count. 

INQ28/Necromunda

I have some old models, both from my own collection, and from eBay, that need the paint removing from them. My old standby for doing so was brake fluid, but that's evil stuff, so I'll be trying the internet recommended Simple Green, or, as I'm in the UK, Dettol. I'll be chronicling my (mis)adventures, and we'll see if I have any models left by the month's end.



This has been a success, as evidenced by the stripping paint post. I've got models still sitting in the Dettol, and the paint is failing off them, they just need a scrub down and they'll be ready to go.


Infinity

I have the models and I just need to get them set up for painting, as they languished half done for a while now. This means finding a better way to attach the small parts to painting stands, and starting a hunt for bases suited to the models.


I spent an evening putting the smaller parts on cocktail sticks, so they're set up for painting. You can see the results on one of the Sunday Photo Pages The bases however, I've had issues with, as my supplier fell through.

Warmachine/Hordes

I need to take stock of what Khador models I have, and see what needs to be added to round out a starting force. I want to say it's just a Mortar and a Unit Attachment, but I need to make sure before I order anything.


I managed to deal with this fairly early in the month, although it has to be said it wasn't a hard task as it basically amounts to "go shopping".

Kickstarters

Fingers crossed, the Sedition Wars box will be arriving this month, and that will no doubt steal a few nights. I've no plans to paint it until the later shipment arrives, along with a DVD paint guide from Mike McVey.



Sedition Wars has indeed arrived, as my review posts attest. I'm glad I'd planned it into the schedule as otherwise it would have shoved things completely off plan.


Hungover from 2012

There are a number of reviews and such to be posted for products released last year, so forgive me if the blog seems to occasionally drift back into 2012, but I want to get these last things out of the way as quickly as possible.


I've still got quite a few things to get to, but that'll happen as it happens, as I don't want to push the current posts out of the way in favour of older content. I did get the DreadBall teams reviewed though, so that's a fairly big topic covered.
____________

Overall I'm fairly happy with progress this month, making 5 out of the 8 ish goals and sub goals.

I'd be cross about the Malifaux painting if it was about simply not getting it done rather than having a painting related crisis of confidence. I'm glad I spent time painting the zombies, as there was no pressure, and a change to experiment.

The bases are an issue, both for Malifaux and Infinity, and I think I probably need to push on with simply making my own. 

So, with moderate success it's time to rough out what I'm going to do next month.

2 comments:

  1. I would say you did pretty well this past month with the hobby. While you might not have completed as much painting and model building as you wanted, you more than made up for it with keeping up a steady stream of posts for the blog.

    I for one am pleased if I am always doing at least something related to the hobby each week (with everything else I need to do with graduate school and the like, it is not always easy...), whether its reading a codex or trimming models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a fair point about the blog posts, with January being my second most prolific month of all time, with December, weirdly, taking first place.

      I've managed to squeeze in hobby time most days, I just wish there was more to show for it (mainly thinking of the Witchlings, as that was a few hours that could have been better spent.

      Delete