Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Necromunda and INQ28 - 2013

As I foreshadowed over the last few posts, I'm taking a step back from the larger armies of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and instead concentrating upon a much smaller project. To do this I'm going to be focusing my efforts on models for Necromunda and INQ28.


While Necromunda will likely be familiar to some of you, INQ28 is a little bit more off the beaten track. I'll be covering it in more detail over the coming month, but for now this should suffice; taken from the INQ28 blog:
When Inquisitor was written, the rules themselves were not bound to a specific scale. Distances within the rulebook were expressed in 'yards', and it was suggested that a yard should equal an inch. This fact makes Inquisitor easy to scale up or down - you could theoretically run a life-size game of Inquisitor if you were insane enough.

Since Inquisitor was first released, a sizeable minority of players have played the game using 28mm models, typically (and understandably) from the various Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 ranges. In these games, a 'yard' is typically counted as either a centimetre or half an inch. This practice has been dubbed "INQ28".
The Inquisitor range, as released (and still stocked) by GW was a 54mm scale game, and worked in a very different way from any other game they've released, being very much based on individual models, and using initiative values to determine turn sequence and number of actions per turn. The rules can be found in pdf form on GW's website, and are well worth looking through, if only for the artwork.

So why not play the games with the figures made for it (there are certainly some lovely models)?

Well, being a very small selection of metal models conversion is a difficult necessity, and drawing upon the vast resources provided by 28mm ranges makes things much easier, and it also avoids the need for 54mm scenery.

Anyone needing proof of what possibilities this opens up need only type INQ28 into an image search engine. But before you navigate away, here's a screen grab from Pintrest. You'll want to make it bigger.


INQ28 gives me the platform I want to play around in the darker, non power armoured side of the 40K universe and hopefully capture some of the ambient weird that suffuses the setting.

Anyone wanting to know more should head to the INQ28 blog

Necromunda is also going to get a lot of attention this year.

It will provide a setting for some of the model I intend for INQ28, and with it's more coherent gangs, less involved rules, and range of lovely models it will be the game of choice for my intermittent sessions with old friends throughout the year in the same way Mordheim did in 2012.

I'll be collecting an Escher gang primarily, which has meant picking up various specific models through eBay (which is a big clue to Mystery Model 3). I've also got other plans, but we'll see how they go.
GW's Escher Gang Set, with its bizarre bases for a industrial setting.

Between the two systems I should more than scratch my itch for the stranger side of 40K, and get a good bit of gaming in.

2 comments:

  1. I just caught this post after someone linked it to me - I'm always interested to see more people tackle the dustier corners of the 40k universe. Please keep us updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not often I get someone I've linked to on here. Thanks for the comment. Utterly floored by models the INQ28 is producing. I be pleased if I can bash together something half as good. Hopefully get things moving forward in the next month or so.

      Delete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...