Call It A Comeback

It turns out the enthusiasm that I approached Age of Sigmar with last year was a false dawn for my hobby. I’ve been dabbling a bit, and keeping up with the community more than I was, but I have certainly failed to produce anything of use. 

Iron Sleet’s Pilgrym project is an ongoing reminder of the elements that drew me into the hobby in the first place, and an utterly jaw dropping exploration of quite how deeply the thinnest sliver of the Warhammer 40,000 background and aesthetic can be mined for incredible results. Even at this early stage their work is stunning to behold, and is truly ambitious and epic in scope. 

My own hobby goals for 2016 very much include getting back into the dark and terrible future of the Imperium, that the Iron Quill team is doing such an incredible job of encapsulating, but that’s not my first port of call (although the bits box is crying out to be broken open at this point). 

Games Workshop’s “New Year, New Army” drive has served as a reminder that while I have a whole mess of models with varying degrees of paint on what I don’t really have is an army I can be proud of. By which I mean something like KrautScientist’s World Eater force as seen on Eternal Hunt and exemplified in the recent Eternal Hunt Awards (Pt3). The ranks of bare plastic and metal models I own far outweigh those with paint, and of those the number I am proud of is smaller still. This year I’m going to change that. If not the balance of numbers between painted and unpainted (because I fear that is a deeply over optimistic plan for five years, let alone one) then the number I am proud to call my own. 

As things stand I am not feeling drawn towards building any of the armies in Games Workshop’s increasing range. A Horus Heresy force is very tempting, but four unfinished Space Marine armies of various Chapters sit watching me from the shelves with mocking plastic eyes. Instead, it’s time to try something new; of which more tomorrow. For today I’m just going to make one hobby goal…
·I will have a fully painted army by the end of 2016, and it will have seen action on the table top·
This also means that 2016 will see my return to the blog in a big way. While daily posts will remain a thing of the past, so to will the silence. 

I have a few other hobby projects bubbling away, aside from the army build, and more are likely to start off over the coming month; however the next few posts are going to be focused on the army, building up something big on the 1st of February.

Comments

  1. Good to have you back! It can certainly be easy to let one's hobby projects slide to the way side and pile up unfinished. I certainly have a lot of that. But having a blog like this one is a good way to keep motivated!

    And as you mentioned, the Pilgrym project is shaping up to be quite an event. These are exciting times. Good luck and I cannot wait to see some models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good to be back. It's great to be engaging in the hobby again, but getting the blog back on its feet is proving equally rewarding. I hadn't realised how much I missed this sort of writing.

      The work on Pilgrym is a real inspiration. I can't wait to see how Roland and The Church of the Red Atheneum come together.
      Is anyone planning on using the Adepta Sororitas, beyond Kari's Sister Praeministramme?

      I need to get my painting skills back up to scratch. It's incredible how much they've atrophied through disuse.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I am not sure how many Sororitas will be used in the event. I know PDH has created a pair that will be involved, but beyond that I am not sure. I actually brought this up to the Pilgrym group, because the Prioris Convent is stationed on Terra, so I would imagine there are a lot there.

      Delete
    3. It'll be fantastic to see Iron Sleet's take on Sisters.
      Daemonifuge did such a brilliant job with Ephrael Stern, and John Blanche's Sister of Battle is such an evocative piece of art. They're rich with possibilities. It's hard to knock the metal range, despite the years. They distil part of the 40k universe like no other models.

      Delete

Post a Comment